Friday, January 27, 2012

Instincts!

There has been a lot of changes in our household starting the new Year. My MIL has moved back in and Alex has been showing some behavior issues, because of the changes.
And I am proud member of Cafemom.com and I am a member of two support groups for mothers of autistic children, and I asked for advice regarding this issue. And it brought to my attention that most mothers of autistic children work from instincts, it has become very hard to explain things to my MIL because of the fact that I can not explain what I do every day because I just do it.
Many mothers on Cafemom.com and in those specific groups, work with their instincts as well, because that's the only way we can understand them, and thats the best way to help them.
I have talked to the therapist, and like i have said before, i have already set up a therapy session with a translator for my MIL because I can not explain half of what I do with Alex.

My mother would call this mother's love and mother's intuition, and she is right, I have developed a sixth sense only for Alex, my husband actually thinks that I have eyes in the back of my head, but I don't, I can literary smell if Alex does #2 from the living room, I know where he is and what he is doing when he is too quiet (naturally with any child, if they are too quiet, there is something going on, or their sleeping).

And going to Cafemom today and reading some of these mother's responses, and we all have that in common even tho our children are totally different. We work on instincts, we do what we can everyday but we can't actually explain to another human being what it is that we do, I personally can't, especially to a person that has no idea what Autism is. I mean, you can read and research Autism all you want, but theory is always different than practice, you have to be around Autism, you have to open your self mentally to be able to understand, and one thing that is very important especially with Alex, emotion has to be separate from logic, Alex does not respond to emotion, he doesn't know how to read it, he doesn't know what the hell it means, what works with him is logic, is either black or white, i am not saying you can't hug or kiss him, it just means that he sees it as a game, not as affection, and that is hard enough to deal with, but again, its logic not emotion that is involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment