Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Involving MIL into Therapy

So, MIL moved in a couple of weeks ago, and we have been dealing with behavior issues sense she moved back in, he is acting up, his anxiety level has gone up ( and if you know or research autism, you would know that all Autistic children have anxiety issues), so he has gone back to doing things that he hasn't done in a long time. So I spoke to his doc and she told me that I needed to include her in the group so she can understand him more, and so she can get in the same page with us.
I spoke to his therapist and I have an appt set up for next week with the therapist and a translator so we can all sit together and talk. FUN!!
The thing is, she is one of those ppl that she fears what she doesn't understand, except she is not scared, she just feels sorry for him. Last time he had a meltdown, she walked away and the husband found her crying in her room, I understand where she is coming from, really I do, cause I was there, but I didn't have time to dwell on it, I just did what I had to do to get him Help, so right now am a bit inpatient with her, but thats not her fault, thats mine.
So, we have set up a plan for her to follow, so she can recognize things and be able to deal with them.
Truth is, living with Alex is like playing "discover the treasure" all day long, why? Ok, Alex is NON-VERBAL he can't speak, but he can show you what he wants, so half of the time, i don't know whats wrong with him, but I sit and I observe him. In her case, she asks over and over again whats wrong with him, it has come to the point that I stopped answering, not trying to be rude, but I just can't handle the stress of dealing with him and with her and her questions, I just can't, I am a person that can do one thing at a time, and I like to focus on him only when he wants me to figure out something, call me creazy!
She would have to learn how to observer him, and identify the object or his needs, and then address it, if is a negative, you tell him NO, and if she can't handle it, she has to walk away.
So, next week will be eventful to say the least. FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment